Storm the Mountain
FEBRUARY 1, 2020 \\ WENTWORTH \\ NOVA SCOTIA
LOOKING FOR AN EXTREME WINTER ADVENTURE?
Pugwash Ground Search and Rescue (PGSAR) and the Orienteering Association of Nova Scotia (OANS) invite you to participate in the annual Storm the Mountain Adventure Challenge (SMAC). SMAC will take place on February 2, 2019 in Wentworth, Cumberland County NS.
The challenge will take place in Wentworth, Cumberland County, NS. Registration is at the Wentworth Recreation Center (13752 Highway 4).
Wentworth Mountain, nestled within the Cobequid Hills of NS can be described as a diverse and mature
mixture of hardwood and softwood trees amongst numerous peaks and valleys. A network of 25 km (+)
trails, combined with open forest provides almost unlimited hiking/snow shoeing and cross-country skiing
options. While the area is beautiful, it also provides challenge in terms of both weather and topography.
Some things to consider:
• Elevations range from approximately 100 to 300 metres with steep inclines and descents.
• Wentworth typically experiences colder temperatures and greater snowfall than surrounding areas.
• There will be two race time events: 4 hours and 6 hours
• PGSAR will patrol the area and provide 3 support stations with extra water and warmth
You may choose to participate in either a 4-hour or 6-hour event within one of the following challenges:
• Challenge 1 – Emergency Responders, SAR & Armed Forces
• Challenge 2 – Public Competitive
• Challenge 3 – Public Recreational
SCHEDULE Note: you may want to sign in early to allow time to review the map
• 0800 Registration, equipment checks and receipt of course map
• 0930 Mobilize to start; pre-challenge briefing; punch cards distributed
• 1000 Start
• 1600 End
• 1000 Registration, equipment checks and receipt of course map
• 1130 Mobilize to start; pre-challenge briefing; punch cards distributed
• 1200 Start
• 1600 End
1600 – 1800 Food and awards at the Wentworth Recreation Center after the event
FEES (CAD$) – per participant
Armed Forces, Emergency Responders & SAR
Under 18 years*
*Note: Youth under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Minimum number in a team is 2. No max.
HI-Wentworth – 249 Wentworth Station Road, RR#1 Wentworth NS;
902-548-2379; email: Wentworth@hihostels.ca
Hillcrest View Inn – 11054 Highway 6, South Pugwash; 902-243-2727; www.hillcrestview.ca
Inn the Elms – 10340 Durham Street Pugwash; 902-243-2885; www.inntheelms.com
1 L water, whistle, compass, knife, watch, waterproof or moisture protected matches and a cell phone (min
of one phone per team fully charged). Snowshoes and/or winter outerwear permitted.